Thursday, December 20, 2007

Things I Learned Today





1. The thai restaurant on 30th ave in queens that I order from is definitely authentic.

2. It sucks when your camera breaks on vacation.

3. There's a reason why most people don't book guest houses in advance. Sometimes you show up and wish you hadn't, such as me this afternoon upon finding my "extremely clean and new, good basic amenities, great staff" http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/thailand/southern_thailand/krabi/ao_nang/all/2927accommodations are just a little too basic. I am very scared to go back there; it's up in the cliff and I know there will be minimal (if any) lights on. I also found two weird little bugs that were jumping around on the bed that i am sure are bedbugs. They were smaller than fleas and kind of clear. In fact, I know they are bedbugs. http://www.breaktime.us/video_thumbnails/bedbugs.jpg Maybe I wont even sleep on the bed. But that leaves only linoleum floor. Glad I have the travel sheet and head light. I sprayed so much bug repellent on the bed before I left I'll probably be light headed when I walk into the room. Or maybe I wont go back till sunrise.

4. I'm too old to roll like a backpacker - I think I was probably always too old. I'm staying one night at the Friendly Guest Bungalows (the family running it was extremely sweet and I feel bad just up and leaving) and checking into a spa with a pool tomorrow. It's overpriced but I don't care. I like hot showers and electricity too much. I'm also on vacation.

5. Thai massage is one of the best things invented; it will be my daily sunset ritual until I leave here.

6. Traveling alone is hard; if I don't make some friends soon I might be home for christmas after all.

7. Swedish people really, really like southern Thailand.

8. The sand on these beaches is very, very fine. On my camera is a far better photo of this, mainly because I took it and I'm in it: http://www.tothailand.com/wallpaper/krabi/krabi_aonang_beach.jpg
Unfortunately, the sand somehow got into the grooves of the lens and that was the end of my camera.

9. Ladyboys seem to like me, and I like them back. Think I'll go to the Ladyboy Cabaret show when I get back to Bangkok.

10. I'm really pissed about my camera.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Ricci,
You are my hero. Im so jealous of all your big adventures!

Jennifur106 said...

What happens in Thailand on xmas? Can't wait to find out!

In the meantime, there's this exciting MySpace bulletin i posted as an ode to you: http://bulletins.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=bulletin.read&messageID=5042661066&MyToken=4abee00c-40d4-4183-8abc-e927167a3c67